“Mr. Calm, Cool, & Collected. That’s what he’s known as. Steve “Collected” Markle has shown you what he can do with a cue stick but he’s not done yet.”
For those of you who have been living under a rock for the past few years, Steve Markle is a professionally ranked trick shot artist. Steve has appeared in many tours and on media outlets including ESPN, Insight Magazine, In The Pocket News, Inside Pool Magazine, and ABC News. How’s that for a resume?
“Redefining the Laws of Physics”
Steve burst onto the scene at an early age. When most kids were just starting high school, Steve was making a name for himself in the giant world of billiards. [#billiardlife] Now at the age of 22, Steve has already built a strong following before many seasoned pros have even begun thinking about a professional career in billiards.
- Started doing trick shots at age 14
- Started competing professionally at age 16
Steve competed in the 2013 ESPN World Cup of Trick Shots last year with the likes of Andy Segal, Jamey Gray, Florian Kohler, and Gabi Visiou. He was invited again this past April to compete in the World Cup of Trick Shots on ESPN2. You don’t have to be a billiards fan by any means to appreciate the talent this guy’s got!
I could talk and talk for days, let’s just let Steve show you what he does best. Roll the tape!
Here’s a few publications Steve has been in:
-February 2012, ABC News: 20 Year Old Trick Shot Artists, MUST SEE [Watch Video]
-November 2010, Inside Pool Magazine: Steve Markle Inside Pool Magazine [Watch Video]
- Youngest person to compete professionally. Steve entered his first tour at the ripe age of 16.
- 3rd Place at the Ultimate Trick Shot Tour in Parsippany, NJ
- 5th Place as the Ultimate Trick Shot Tour in Hoboken, NJ
- 8th Place at the Ultimate Trick Shot Tour at Secaucus, NJ
- 9th Place at the 2008 Comet Billiards Classic
- 11th Place at the Artistic Pool Masters
Q & A with Trick Shot Pro Steve Markle
- What is your current world rank?
- How’d the Make a Wish Charity event go in Philadelphia?
- What’s life like for a professional trick shot artist?
- How do you come up with new ideas? Do you have to think about it for a long time or does it just sort of pop into your head?
- What’s your work ethic like? Do you have a set routine or do you just practice when you’re in the mood?
- How would you describe your style as a trick shot artist? Do you try to focus on one specific area or are you open to trying things you haven’t done before?
- What would you suggest to anybody reading this that wants to become a professional trick shot artist?
- Anything else you would like to add or send out to your fans?
- My current world rank is 6th.
- The Make a Wish charity which took place at the Harrah’s Casino just outside of Philadelphia went really well. The room was filled the entire duration of the event. We were able to raise a lot of money for such a great cause. It was an honor to be part of this!
- My life can be very interesting as well as busy at times. On top of being a professional pool player I am also a full time college student. Many times it’s tough trying to balance the time to manage my pool career as well as get acceptable grade. I really do love this lifestyle and would never want it to change. With pool and trick shots I am doing something that is very rare and all that I have already been through at age 22 I am sure later in life I will look back at these great memories.
- Many of my shot ideas I create by just messing around and practicing. Some also come from mistakes that instantly spark an idea. I also take already established shots and add to them to make them either tougher or more entertaining. For many years everyone was watching the same types of trick shots being performed and these past 5 years we have saw the shots and skill sets of player really evolve. The future is extremely promising and I am looking forward to being a part of this!
- I use to stick to a set routine but now that I am very busy its hard to do so. I now just practice whenever I am free. I can say I am most creative at the late hours of the night. While the rest of the world is sleeping I am hard at it practicing for any upcoming events.
- I would say my style is very unique. I am still young and have that young mind set when it comes to shot creation. I like the flashy extreme trick shots rather than the simple ones. Although I do not focus on a specific area I try to be as best I can at all the different types of shots within trick shots. As a competing professional I try to always work hard on any weakness I may have with my game that way if I see a similar type of shot my chances become better at making it.
- I would suggest that they reach out to me or any other professional players. When I first became interested in trick shots I reached out to many different players and the help and pointers they gave me were incredible. They were able to lay the stepping stones in the path to my career as a trick shot artist. To this day I am very grateful for the knowledge those players were able to give me.
- I would like to thank Game Tables Online for this interview and if anybody reading is in the Louisville, Kentucky area be sure to stop by the BCA Tradeshow Expo which will run from June 24-27. I will be there competing in the BCA Trick Shot Showcase!
Upcoming Events & Tours
- 2014 BCA Trick Shot Showcase on June 24-26 in Louisville, Kentucky. Features 6 of the Top Ranked Pros in a head-to-head format.
- 2014 Artistic Pool World Championship on July 17-20 in Las Vegas, Nevada.